When it comes to financial transactions and identity proof, your Aadhaar card and PAN card are the two most important documents to have. Both these documents assist the Income Tax Department in establishing a record of your financial transactions. Thus, linking your Aadhaar card with your PAN card is critical. Linking both documents will not only support the government in monitoring your transactions but also prevent your PAN card from being deactivated.
As per the new regulations, the Indian government has made it mandatory for all citizens to link their Aadhaar and PAN card. The last date to do so was March 31, 2020. However, the deadline for linking your Aadhaar to your PAN card has recently been extended to March 31, 2023.
This linking of your Aadhaar and PAN makes it simple to file income tax returns, open a bank account, buy/sell financial assets, register a stock trading account, and so on.
Let’s have a look at the ways and steps to link the Aadhaar card with a PAN card.
Methods for Linking Aadhaar to PAN Card
There are numerous ways to link your PAN card to your Aadhaar card. The following are the details about the same:
1. Online method
2. SMS mode
3. Offline method
1. Online Method
Here are the steps to follow for linking your Aadhaar card to your PAN card.
● Step 1: Browse the official portal of income tax e-filing.
● Step 2: Navigate to the "Quick Links" button on the homepage. Click the same link and choose the "Link Aadhaar" sub-option.
● Step 3: After that, a pop-up message indicating that your payment information has been validated will appear. To proceed, select "Continue" from the menu.
● Step 4: Following the redirect, you must input your PAN and Aadhaar number on the subsequent page. Finish this step by clicking the "Validate" option.
● Step 5: Next, you'll see two boxes beneath it containing questions: If your Aadhaar number just contains your date of birth, while the other will request your permission to validate your Aadhaar. Click on the first option if it is correct, otherwise choose the second alternative.
● Step 6: On the following screen, enter the OTP that you will get on your mobile phone.
● Step 7: To proceed, select the “Validate” option.
● Step 8: You will get a confirmation notification once the linking process is completed.
2. SMS Mode
You may also link your Aadhar and PAN card by using the SMS method. However, in order to do so, you must pay the relevant fees via the NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited) site. After making the payment, you must follow the below-listed procedures:
● Step 1: Send an SMS message with the subject UIDPAN 12 digit Aadhaar> 10 digit PAN>.
● Step 2: Send the SMS to 567678 or 56161 using your registered mobile number.
3. Offline Method
Following are the steps to follow:
● Step 1: Visit the NSDL office.
● Step 2: Ask for the relevant application form from the officials.
● Step 3: Enter the necessary information and attach supporting documents while submitting it.
● Step 4: Your Aadhaar and PAN cards will be linked after the verification.
How to make Corrections in Your Aadhaar Card for PAN Linking?
Your PAN card's information might not always match what is shown on your Aadhaar card. If such is the case, there are a few easy actions you may take to correct the inaccuracies in your Aadhaar card, either online or offline.
1. Online Method
Here are the steps to follow.
● Step 1: Visit UIDAI's official website.
● Step 2: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and captcha to log in.
● Step 3: Subsequently, an OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number. To continue, enter the information in the appropriate field and press the "Submit" button.
● Step 4: Select the sections of your Aadhaar card that requires to be updated.
● Step 5: Provide the supporting documents.
● Step 6: An Update Request Number (URN) will be produced once the necessary documents have been uploaded. You must remember this in order to refer to it in the future.
2. Offline Method
Here’s a step-by-step guide that will assist you in doing corrections to your Aadhaar card.
● Step 1: To begin, visit the UIDAI website.
● Step 2: On the homepage, select the “Resources” option, then the “Enrolment Docs” option.
● Step 3: To proceed, click on the “Download Forms” option.
● Step 3: Download the form for correcting Aadhaar data.
● Step 4: Fill in the necessary information that needs to be changed.
● Step 5: Attach hard copies of the papers to the correctly completed form and submit it to the following address: UIDAI, Post Box Number 99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, Telangana, 500034.
FAQs on How to Link Aadhaar Card to Your PAN Card
1. What should I do if I am unable to connect my PAN card to my Aadhaar card?
If you are unable to link your Aadhaar card to your PAN card, it is likely that the information in both papers is incorrect. If this is the case, you must correct the facts and ensure that the information on both papers is identical.
2. What documents do I need to link my PAN card to my Aadhaar card?
You simply need two documents to link your PAN card to your Aadhaar card: PAN card and Aadhaar card. However, before you begin this procedure, you must confirm that the information in both of these documents is correct and similar.
3. What happens if I don't link my PAN to my Aadhaar card?
Your PAN card would become inactive if you do not link your Aadhaar card to it, making it impossible for you to conduct future financial activities.
4. Can Aadhaar and PAN cards be unlinked?
No. You cannot unlink your PAN card from your Aadhaar card after you have linked both.